Thursday, September 6, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Ring


Ingredients
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 packet ranch powder mix
Diced celery to taste
Buffalo wing sauce to taste
Diced/shredded chicken, cooked (2-3 chicken breasts worth, or 1-2 cans of canned chicken)
2 packages crescent rolls
Ranch dressing for dipping (optional)
It’s perfect for parties or football games or really could be a nice, quick tasty dinner (served with a salad on the side, perhaps?)
First, you make a funky circle-type thing with the crescent rolls. I’ve tried various methods of doing this, and here is a picture of the best way I’ve found.
Then chop some celery.
Then mix some cream cheese with half a packet of ranch dressing mix (more if you’d like, but half is probably plenty)
Next is the chicken. I’ve made this with several types of chicken: canned chicken works just fine, or boiled chicken shredded in a food processor or with forks is good too.
And then: HOT SAUCE.
Mix it all together: the cream cheese mixture, the chicken, the celery, and the hot sauce. How much hot sauce? Totally up to you. I usually add bit, taste, add a bit more, etc. I like to keep it relatively non-spicy and let people dip it later if they want. I like the tang of the hot sauce without blowing my face off, know what I mean? But it really is a personal preference.
Now comes the art portion of our project. Spread the chicken mixture on the circle of crescent rolls you created.
Then slowly go around the circle, wrapping the chicken mixture in the dough.
(It doesn’t have to look this pretty. Mine doesn’t usually, but it knew it was having a photo shoot, so it behaved for me. That’s a good boy, dough-from-a-tube!)

Bake it for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees or until the crescent rolls are starting to brown.
Now here is where I caution you: LET IT SIT FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND COOL BEFORE MOVING IT. I don’t have any nice after pictures of the sliced roll because I was in a hurry to take it to a party and I tried to move it before it cooled a little and… DISASTER. Delicious disaster, but disaster all the same. It went from a nice circle to a… rhombus? Parallelogram? I don’t even know, but it looked hilarious. Don’t be like me! Patience is key.
Serve the chicken ring with ranch and hot sauce for dipping. You will be a hero.